- June 27 - August 31
- Exeter Rd, Topsham, EX3 0LX
- FORCE Cancer Charity
- 01392 402875
IMPORTANT NELLO UPDATE – MUST READ
It is with heavy hearts, that we have to inform you that the 2021 Nello cycle ride for FORCE Cancer Charity, scheduled for Sunday June 27, will be changing to a ‘virtual’ event again this year.
It has been a hugely difficult decision and one we didn’t want to have to make, knowing the disappointment for cyclists and the potential loss of essential fundraising for our charity. Please read more here.
TO ENTER THE VIRTUAL EVENT – CLICK HERE
The 22nd Nello bike ride will take place on Sunday 27th June 2021.
Since the first Nello Century Cycle Challenge in 2000, the ride has raised more than £1m for FORCE, which works locally to support anyone affected by cancer, face-to-face and close to home.
The ride has grown from attracting a field of 90 cyclists in that first year to regularly filling up to its 1,500 capacity. So please do not delay – enter today and be a part of this very special year.
In 2019 the ride raised £120,000 for the charity which was a massive milestone – thank you to everyone who has helped to achieve this and in 2020, despite COVID restrictions meaning the event could not take place as a mass gathering, over 750 participants cycled on a date to suit them – and still raised over £75,000 – something we are immensely proud of.
Why not watch the film from 2019 – it will give you a real sense of what you are about to take part in! Nello film 2019
Entry Fees 2021
- For Entry up to end December 2020: £32.00
- For Entry from January – midnight on 20th June: £37.00
- For Entry from 21st June: £50.00
Entry closes when we reach 1500 participants. If any places are available on the day the charge will be £50.00 per person (however we do not anticipate places being available on the day)
The classic hundred mile pedal from Topsham over the roof of Exmoor and back is one of the highlights of the annual cycling calendar offering great scenery; superb climbs and far reaching views. The 55 mile route, splitting from the 100 in Tiverton, heads across the County and offers an abundance of scenic country roads, a superb break in Nomansland and great camaraderie. PLEASE NOTE – THERE IS A NEW ROUTE FROM NOMANSLAND TO BLACK DOG FOR 2021.
Both rides start and finish at the Topsham Rugby Ground.
The Nello is not a sportive; it is a charity bike ride, raising vital funds for a local cancer charity. The ride is NOT chip timed; it is NOT a race. All cyclists are welcome to enter this event but we ask them to bear this in mind when entering.
“The Nello is a day when old friends and new come together to take part in an exciting, enduring and enjoyable day out. Everybody has their own personal reason for taking part – but they are also all there to support FORCE and raise funds to support people affected by cancer in our area. It is a joy to be part of such a wonderful spectacle and to see the delight on the cyclists faces as they come across the finish line having succeeded in their challenge. A great many people support our ride and offer food, water, music and time – the event quite simply could not take place without their generous support, in particular Bike Shed who support so many riders on the route and ensure no-one gets lost and Exeter Physio who sort out all the aches and pains on the finish line!”
Sarah Daniels, Head of Income Generation at FORCE Cancer Charity
Many cyclists have very kindly given us garmin links following the Nello.
Click here for the 100 mile route
We also have PDF maps for both routes: PLEASE NOTE – The maps shows the new route from Nomansland to Black Dog for 2021. We also have a new refreshment stop as we are no longer able to use the pub grounds due to social distancing regulations and our ever growing number of cyclists.
Raising Funds for FORCE Cancer Charity
Route information & updates
The Nello ride on June 27th is only a few weeks away and we sincerely hope the UK road map out of lockdown goes to plan to ensure everything lifts as we all want on 21st June.
- Fundraising – please help us to reach our target of £80,000 for the 2021 Nello ride. This will surpass last year’s virtual ride and, as you know, every penny counts at FORCE and it will be spent wisely. Can you raise sponsorship, make a donation after the ride or get match-funding from your place of work? FORCE Cancer Charity relies entirely on voluntary donations and we would love you to raise sponsorship so that FORCE can continue to support people affected by cancer in our community. One of the best ways to ask for sponsorship is through Virgin Money Giving. Virgin Money Giving allows you to create your very own online sponsorship account which you can personalise by adding photos and your own message. It’s easy to set up and a great way to spread the word about what you are doing and raise awareness of FORCE Cancer Charity. Alternatively, if you would like to raise money offline, here is a link to download our sponsorship form.
- Donations – for generic donations please use this link if you prefer rather than setting up your own page – however, please note, we cannot send thank you letters to individual donors as we do not get anything more than their names via Virgin Money Giving. https://rb.gy/vccli3
- Doing your bit to ensure a COVID safe environment – we will remind you of this nearer the time but, if you are unwell at the date of the event, have had a temperature within 24hrs prior to the event, or have been in contact with anybody testing positive for COVID within 24hrs before the event, please DO NOT ATTEND. We will also be asking you all to ensure you maintain the social distancing rules as much as possible- hands – face – space when coming into contact with others at the refreshment stops. Furthermore, at this point, wearing facemasks will be obligatory prior to the start of the ride, on arrival at Topsham – especially when going indoors to use the toilets and when approaching the registration desks.
- Topsham in the morning – for your information, we have decided we will NOT be offering breakfast or hot drinks prior to the ride so as to avoid as much contact as possible prior to the ride beginning. We will also have much extended starting enclosures and everybody will leave those grounds as swiftly as possible and with as much care as we can possibly take with the pens – so please adhere to anything we ask of you to ensure a swift departure. Any large groups seen gathering will be asked to disperse.
- On the course – at the refreshment stops there will likely be a one-way system where possible – please adhere to this for your own safety and the safety of our volunteers. We will be handing out food where possible to avoid unnecessary contact with the food on offer. Also, we will be avoiding ‘dip in’ foods such as sausage, tomatoes and jelly babies. PLEASE NOTE – The maps shows the new route from Nomansland to Black Dog for 2021. We also have a new refreshment stop as we are no longer able to use the pub grounds due to social distancing regulations and our ever growing number of cyclists.
- Water – we will of course have water around the course but more than ever, please ensure you bring your own water bottles with you for the ride.
A big thank you goes out to both The Bike Shed, who have supported us for so many years, and Pinarello, who have stood firmly by our side these last few years. I value their support enormously and cannot thank them enough for both the professionalism they maintain on the course and the friendship they have provided to me and my team throughout.
Wishing you all the best with your cycling training now and over the last few weeks – fingers crossed for some sunnier weather.